Sunday, January 27, 2013

How-to: Custom Texture Mats


Anyone who has been to one of my workshops knows how much love I have for craft foam.   Not only is it available in bright colors, but you can purchase it with an adhesive backing that works great for making quick custom texture mats for clay.  Here, I'll show you how to quickly make your own texture mat using craft foam and scissors.

Purchase craft foam with an adhesive back.  It is available at many hobby and craft stores, as well as discount stores. 
Cut shapes out of one of the sheets of the peel and stick foam
Create a custom design by placing your cut-outs onto another sheet of craft foam.  Here I have used two levels of peel and stick foam (white and yellow) and attached them to regular craft foam (red).

Place the texture mat face down on a slab and use your rolling pin to transfer the relief pattern.

The craft foam won't stick to the clay and your design imprints perfectly!

The craft foam texture mats can be reused countless times.  Play around with positive and negative imprints by cutting away and adding to the texture mats.  Different thicknesses of the craft foam will yield different depths of texture.  So many possibilities!






6 comments:

  1. Now I know why I haven't gotten rid of all the foam I have hanging around. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great tutorial Chandra..looks easy peasy but with so many options! Thanks too, Carole, for sharing! Adding craft foam to my list of things to buy next time I'm in the city!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Foam glue also works if you don't have the peel and stick craft foam!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited about this and can hardly wait to try it! I have lots of craft foam, and am thrilled to finally have a use for it. Many thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete