Sunday, November 13, 2011

Finding the Worm! (Part 1 of 2)

I once had only the synthesizer opening to this song stuck in my head for a couple of years, but I couldn't figure out what song it was.  Every chance I would get, I would hum the tune to anyone willing to see if they could help me.  It was hopeless.  Until one night in my basement ceramics studio I played an old INXS cd and *voila* mystery solved.  Dream on white boy.

Side note: Radiolab has a fascinating episode devoted to the phenomena of earworms.  Definitely worth the listen.  From wikipedia:  Earworm . . . is a portion of a song or other music that repeats compulsively within one's mind, put colloquially as "music being stuck in one's head."

Did you know that through the Google Chrome browser, you can search by image instead of words?  I gave it a whirl with an image of one of my nutstash jars and the search engine returned accurate information, as well as other visually similar (color scheme, composition) images.  I can see a lot of potential here for designers, researchers, spies, and otherwise curious folks.  

a screen shot from the results of my image search in Google Chrome
I imagine it will only be a matter of time before we can search by musical snippet.  Finding the worm will be easy--getting rid of it will still be problematic.

What about a search by smell?  Ripe with possibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment